No special funeral for Mbah Maridjan: Sultan
NU Online · Rabu, 27 Oktober 2010 | 23:19 WIB
Yogyakarta Governor and Sultan of Yogyakarta Hamengkubuwono X said Wednesday there would not be a special funeral for Mbah Maridjan, who died after refusing to abandon his ceremonial post as caretaker of Mount Merapi’s spirits.
“There are no special funerals for the Sultanate’s servants. His body has been retrieved by his family and will be buried with the other victims [of the eruption],” Hamengkubuwono said as quoted by Antara news agency.
/>
Maridjan, 83, had been entrusted by the highly respected late Sultan Hamengkubuwono IX to watch over the volcano's spirits. For years he led ceremonies in which rice and flowers were thrown into the crater to appease its spirits. Maridjan had angered officials in the past by refusing to evacuate during Merapi’s eruptions.
“[His refusal to evacuate] was because of his responsibility as caretaker of Mount Merapi,” Hamengkubuwono said.
Maridjan was among 31 people killed by hot ash spewed by Merapi on Tuesday in Umbulharjo village, Sleman, which is located 4 kilometers from the volcano.
Famous for his convictions about his position, Maridjan was reportedly found in a praying position, kneeling facedown on the floor. (jp/dar)
Terpopuler
1
Syuriyah PBNU Harapkan Muktamar Ke-35 Digelar di Pesantren dengan Dua Kriteria
2
Khutbah Idul Adha 2026: Menguatkan Solidaritas Melalui Semangat Berbagi
3
Khutbah Jumat: Menumbuhkan Empati dan Solidaritas Sosial Melalui Kurban
4
Rapat Pleno PBNU: Munas dan Konbes Digelar 20-21 Juni 2026, Lokasi Diputuskan Menyusul
5
Khutbah Idul Adha 2026: Gotong Royong dalam Pengelolaan Kurban
6
Khutbah Jumat: Meraih Pertolongan Allah dengan Membantu Sesama
Terkini
Lihat Semua